A person gets tired

I'm a pretty typical person. I'm not the pillar of fashion, but neither am I frumpy. I enjoy rock and heavy metal as much as I enjoy classical music. I play sports and I taxi my children to soccer practices and games. I love Halloween and Christmas. I don't wear dresses very often, and don't recommend them for ordinary housekeeping. (They tend to get in the way.) I recycle, I prefer to buy large packages rather than individually wrapped packages (reduce), and I even re-use, when I can.

Nothing very extraordinary there. Nothing that would make you think I was "one of those idiot radical conservatives". In fact, with my granola and social justice tendencies, and the fact that I am a Harry Potter fan instead of believing that the books are evil would probably make one think I was more liberal. But I suppose I am one of those backwards thinking radicals.

I am so tired of being the fish that swims against the current. Why do I always have to pick the less popular side of issues? Be it breast-feeding, or vaccines, abortion, euthanasia, homosexual marriage, I feel like I am always at odds with everyone else around me. Why do I bother taking my kids to mass, or even going myself? It would be so much easier to just give up and join the enemy. It would be so much easier to have a "laisser faire" attitude. I'm pretty tolerant. I don't really care what others are doing. But what others are doing is going to eventually have an impact on society and on us. Slavery abolitionists didn't just sit around saying "Well at least I don't have slaves." They took concrete actions to abolish slavery.

Still, I am mentally tired. I don't see any hope. Only the maccabre kind of hope, as in the "culture of death" will eventually kill itself. Should we even try to save a society trying to commit suicide, or should we just stand by and let it die, then pick up the pieces and start over? In my dreams, I see myself exiled in some pro-life, pro-family, society waiting for the rest of the world to just kill itself off. If only we could just divide the world into ethic groups instead of ethnic groups, and everyone could move to the country that best fit their idea of morality. Would be interesting to pit the pro-choice, pro-euthanisia, divorce on demand, sexually liberated country against the pro-life, pro-family one... I wonder which one would have the most problems with drugs and alcohol abuse, high suicide rates, crashing birth rates and aging population, single parent homes, high crime etc...?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sectes

Megamind

Against the Unweaving