That Golden Compass Again...

You can watch several videos on the Golden Compass here: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808718640/video/5305481

I only watched about 6 or 7 of them and here are some of my thoughts:

1. "The ruling power destroyed it (the compass) and forbade the very mention of dust (which was always there, from before the beginning) ..." as they show the image of something that quite ressembles the Vatican... I get so tired of hearing subtle (and not-so-subtle) attacks on the Catholic Church. The Church to me is more than some institution of power. It is the Faith, the Communion of Saints, the Sacred Writings and Tradition handed down through the centuries, the er,... "cheminement" as some things were thrown out or changed or bettered. It is not only priests and bishops and the pope, it is the parishioners too. It is me. You attack the Catholic Church, you attack me.

I realize that in Québec, priests and Bishops had a lot of power and some of them abused it. But this is not the story everywhere. Power hungry and ambitious people will use whatever system they can to get what they want, and if they think the Church can help them, than so-be-it. It doesn't make them representative of what we should expect a Catholic with true faith to be. It does make them representative of humanity, imperfect. And the Church will always be full of imperfect people, as will any other organisation. We do the best we can. In places where the Catholic Church has had little or no power, the whole experience of people towards it is totally different.

The other problem most people have with the CC is where it concerns sexual morality and marriage. (Yeah, I know I'm not one to talk, but if I could do some things over again, I'd probably do them different) But noone says you have to be Catholic. The beauty of the Catholic Church is that you DON'T have to belong to it!

2. As instructors (?) are trying to explain to the girl that sometimes it is best to listen to people who know better, "Nicole Kidman" comes in and undermines them by saying: "I felt noone really understood me except for my daemon and that it would be best if I were free to do as I pleased..." I suppose that is Pullman's way of undermining parental authority and "freeing" kids from their parents' faith and or moral obligations?

Okay, I'm done. I'm not watching the rest or this may get too long. (And I haven't even gotten into the idea of having dust replace God yet.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sectes

Megamind

Against the Unweaving