Holiday Meme

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg nog
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Wraps them and sits them under the tree.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?White.
4. Do you hang mistletoe? No
5. When do you put your decorations up? I put advent decorations up all over my house on the first Sunday of advent (pink and purple with greenery) and on the 24th, I switch the decorations for Christmas ones. (Red and gold) I hang up the stockings on the first Sunday of Advent too, so the kids can have fun filling up each others stockings in preparation for Christmas.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Tourtière
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child: Hoiday memories seem to blend, I don't remember what happened when, and I don't remember any one event that stands out more than another...
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? I have always believed that St Nicolas really was a bishop that lived long ago, and,... etc,... (I only found out about Santa at school, my parents never told us about Santa)
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Christmas Eve is when it all happens in French-Canadian culture!! Most people go to mass (if they go at all anymore) and then the party commences and all the gifts are opened. We go to mass, and then the kids can look in their stockings, and then we have the Reveillon (dinner) with Turkey and trimmings or whatever (the last two Christmases we had fondu instead). Before going to bed, we open one gift each. On christmas morning, we open some more, before breakfast, and keep some for later. If there are enough, we might even be still opening some the next day. (I like to make the excitement last longer, my parents did it that way too. I remember still opening gifts 2 or 3 days later).
10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? I go to Sears and dream of a designer tree, with only one or two colours and one main theme, and then I go home and decorate with all the stuff I already have,... things I had as a child, stuff I have collected since, stuff I have made, stuff my kids have made... And I tell myself, someday... someday I will have that designer tree, but not this year.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? I love snow. I grew up in the north remember? I grew up playing all sorts of games in the snow. Making snow forts, sliding, skating, stamping out trails on which to play complicated games of tag... building tunnels to connect the different network of snowforts, crossing frozen rivers on foot, building fires in the bush and roast hotdogs and weiners, then trekking home again... Building networks of tunnels down the side of the bank beside the river to slide through...
12. Can you ice skate? You are not a true Moose factory Islander if you do not know how to skate. I remember crossing the river from the Island to the mainland on the ice-road, 4 miles, on skates. Do I know how to ice-skate? You better believe it. Can I skate like Jonathan Cheechoo? Probably not.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift? No
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you? The birth of Jesus.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert? Mincemeat pie, which I haven't had since I left home...
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition as a kid? Midnight mass and reveillon.
17. What tops your tree? Angel
18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving? Giving
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song? Minuit Chrétien
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yummy? Um they were yummy when I was a child. I don't eat them much now.
21. Missing anyone for the coming holidays? Umm not really. I'm used to being far away from the rest of my family
22. What would be your ideal christmas tradition? I don't know... I don't think I'd change anything... except maybe for having an even more spiritual advent

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sectes

Megamind

Against the Unweaving