Prayer

In fact, I strongly suspect that if we saw all the difference even the tiniest of our prayers to God make, and all the people those little prayers were destined to affect, and all the consequences of those effects down through the centuries, we would be so paralyzed with awe at the power of prayer that we would be unable to get up off our knees for the rest of our lives.
Peter Kreeft, Angels and Demons, p.23. Ignatius Press, San Francisco, 1995
I strongly suspect this to be true myself, but I don't see it and I wish I could. There are any number of people out there (Peter Kreeft among them) who actually see good things coming out of the darkness of our present society. I have to admit, I can see at least one good thing, the whole Theology of the Body that Pope John Paul the II gave us, that we wouldn't have, had it not been for the "Culture of Death". But so few people even consider reading such a thing. Or is it just so few people around me?

I have to say, I don't see any hope for present day society other than the fact that eventually they will all kill themselves off, and where is the hope is that? I wish that that ultimate sign (apparently promised at Fatima) that is supposed to show the world that God indeed does exist would hurry up and show itself, or something.

I feel so disconnected from anyone who believes like I do. I know there are people out there that do, but I don't know very many in real life. I just feel really cut off. I'm glad some people have hope, and reading these books, that gives me hope, for a couple of minutes, but mostly, I just live in something close to despair that anything will change.

At least, so far, my children are turning out quite well, although I will have much emotional and spiritual battle to do if that is to continue. If only I can get them excited about the faith, then I know things will be okay for them. I don't wnat it to be a burden for them, I want them to truely know what it is to believe, and have hope, and why we follow "the rules".
This made me smile, (from the same book) :
Naturalism is a very convenient philosophy for crooks. It means that I am not responsible for anything, for nature made me do it. (...) Naturalism flattens you out, you're only a clever ape, so why not expect people to act like apes? If you're the king's kid, you'll act kingly. If you're made in the image of King God, you'll act godly. But if you're made in the image of King Kong-well, you can read the papers as well as I can.

Comments

  1. Anonymous1:25 am

    Jeanne, Quebec is a horrible place to feel connected as a Catholic. I've been there! There are more believers in Ontario. Ottawa is a good place to be.

    I am trying to gather more people together.

    The hope is out there. I feel it. I think there's more momentum. Things just haven't woken up in Quebec, yet. But I just know they will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kind of have to know where to look, because it already IS happening. I know in Montreal there is a fairly large Opus Dei community, but there are also other groups more typical of Quebecers such as Marie-Jeuenes, Defi-Jeuness, Myriam-Bethlehem, Les puits de lumière etc,... and even some new communities, such as Les Petits Frères de la Croix. The reason I feel so isolated, I guess is that none of these groups are really close to me, and with a non-believing husband, it makes it that much harder to get to any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, Marie-Jeunesse and Defi-Jeunesse I mean.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Megamind

Sectes

Against the Unweaving