Hat trick!

I just heard on the radio this morning that Jonathan Cheechoo of the San Jose Sharks scored a hat trick yesterday, leading them to victory.

I had to smile. In fact, I had to grin with elation.

Jonathan Cheechoo comes from the same remote village I grew up in. In fact, I knew his parents. His father was paster of the Cree Gospel Chapel in Moose Factory. I went to his house once with the youth group. I saw Jonathan a couple of times, but never paid him much attention because he was this little kid I barely knew and I was in my late teens, so I didn't have much contact with him. But, like anyone from Moose Factory, I am extremely proud of him for going all the way to the NHL. There aren't all that many people from remote regions in the NHL, even less First Nations people. But he did it!

Way to go Jonathan!!

We went to Moose Factory in July, 2004 for the Gathering of our People. Jonathan Cheechoo happened to be coming home for this event, and was signing autographs and posing with people.


Here I am with Jonathan (It's funny how tall he grew because neither of his parents are very tall. I'm pretty sure his father is shorter than me.)

Here are the three oldest kids with Jonathan

This is my friend Greta and her daughter Desiree with Jonathan

I doubt he knew who I was, but if he's like most people from Moose Factory, he might have known I was a Chabot, just didn't know which one. Ha ha. (Chabots are famous in MF - or should I say infamous? Well, you know, when you're white in an almost all-native community, you stand out.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sectes

Megamind

Against the Unweaving