Gynies... (see eyes roll)

Well, I have just taken myself right back off the synthroid, because the more research I did, the wierder I thought it was that they had even put me on it, since I had no real symptoms except for a bit of fatigue which could be easily explained away by many other factors (such as Marc coming home at 2:30 in the morning from work, waking me up and me not getting back to sleep right away, but still having to get up at 6:30 to get the kids off to school.), not to mention the fact that I AM pregnant after all!

Not only had I no symptoms, I was still within the normal range. Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) is secreted by the body to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce thyroid hormones, the level will go up if your thyroid is not producing enough. The level of TSH can be measured in the blood when they do a blood test. They do routine testing of all pregnant women here. (Was never tested before.) Anywhere from a .2 to a 5.5 can be normal for a person. I didn't know what my level was at first, although the gynecologist said it wasn't a big deal but that they gave synthroid to anyone who had over a 3. (That was before I knew that 3 was well within the normal range). Anyway, a friend who has hypothyroidism asked me what my level was and since I was starting to get curious about the same thing, I asked the gynecologist and was told it was 3.78. Well, according to my friend's chart, that is well within the normal range especially for a woman in her third trimester of pregnancy! Have been talking with a number of other people as well, including my parents and my sister, and they all think taking extra hormones when I don't need them is probably risking actually putting my thyroid out of wack for real. Then Rose Anne talked with a friend of hers on the weekend who also has hypothryroidism, and get this, when she was diagnosed, she was at 97!!! I am at 3.78! That really puts things into perspective! Anyway, as of Friday morning, I haven't been taking anything anymore. And I really don't think that's going to harm the baby at all.

I also called my old doctor back in Prince George (I respect and trust him), to see what he would think. When I called, he wasn't in, and won't be in until this afternoon, but the recptionist siad she would ask him about it, and I should call back tommorrow morning. But even she made the comment "Should you even be taking this stuff?"

Oh, and gynies can go to you know where...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Megamind

Sectes

Against the Unweaving