Passing on the faith

How does one pass on one's faith when one's husband not only does not believe, but hates the faith?

How can I encourage my children to keep going to mass once they hit adolescence when I have agreed not to force them to go anymore at that point? By not forcing them to go, I did not think that I would not be able to insist either, I did not think that DH would actually openly tell them that they no longer needed to go if they didn't want to... but I can see clearly now, that that is exactly what he will do.

A friend of mine told me recently that he could imagine how my DH feel about religion. He thinks that DH is not truely an unbeliever but that he is hurt and disappointed. I think he nailed it right on. I have thought that for a long time, and I have a good idea why. My friend said that a true unbeliever would simply not care about religion either way, would not rant and rave or blaspheme about it, it would simply leave him indifferent. But this is not the case for DH. My friend thinks that in his heart DH would like to believe that there is God who cares for us, but that he cannot see Him.

Later on today, we will have a late supper together, my friend and I, and talk face to face about a few things. We caught each other on MSN messenger, and realized that we have a lot to say to each other. We are each of us going through some hard times, more or less similar things right now, and we want to sit and talk and catch up. We haven't done that in so long, over 10 years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Megamind

Sectes

Against the Unweaving